Monday 12 January 2015

Slow cooker delights

I'd been contemplating a slow cooker since my job relocated me to the other side of London! I'm spending more time away from home and hate getting the kids home late, with minimal time to cook a meal for them.
We were sadly slipping into the 'stick some quick junk in the oven rutt', and I wasn't happy about it!

Christmas was approaching, and I never know what to ask for. I have my birthday just before Christmas too, so I've long run out of suggestions for gifts by Christmas.  My family hate buying gifts for people that are for the home. But I suggested to my sister that instead of buying it for 1 of us, buy it as a joint gift for me & hubby. It was what we wanted. She agreed!

I was a little excited Christmas Day to open my new spangly 6.5litre machine!! I couldn't wait to get started!

I popped to Tesco & Asda to see if I could get any meats on the reduced bits. I came back with quite a haul.  Pork shoulders, beef briskets, chicken etc.  I couldn't wait!

My first try was going to be my much anticipated & a favourite in restaurants, Pulled Pork!!

I put my pork shoulder in on low at 9am. With a can of Pepsi poured over it as was suggested online.  By 12 lunch time I decided to add some hassleback potatoes.  These are potatoes with cuts made into them & cheese or whatever you want in the gaps.  I wrapped them in foil so they could sit in the Pepsi without getting wet.  I turned it up to high.
By 4.30pm I couldn't wait any longer. I got the potatoes out & put them on a tray in the oven with the foil open a bit to brown & crisp a bit. You don't need to do this, but I wanted to.  Plus it gave me time to take the pork out. On a plate it fell apart! I shredded it with ease. I poured the residue from the slow cooker away. Put the shredded meat back in & squirted on a load of BBQ sauce. I let this warm through.  The result was scrummy!!  The meat was plenty for us to have for dinner that night, and again the next day in rolls!!  Yum yum!!


More of my yummy slow cooked delights coming soon.........

No comments:

Post a Comment