Sunday 13 July 2014

Breakfast bake or lunch

So today I thought I'd try something new for my lunch. Yes lunch, I've called this recipe a breakfast bake, but I made it for my lunch today and it was scrummy!! Go me!

I've seen similar things made before on the tv, but since I couldn't remember a recipe, I decided to wing it with what I had & make up my own!

You'll need -
A small oven proof dish (I used a small white rectangle dish I use to make single portions of shepherds pie)
2 slices of bread
2 eggs
3 cherry tomatoes
3 bits of crispy streaky bacon
1 slice/some grated cheese

First I put oven on high. You just want a quick bake, temperature isn't paramount.
I placed 1 slice of the bread in the dish first, so it sat up the end & sides & just over half way along. Then the next slice the other end. You want to create a bowl effect with the bread. Flattening it into shape.
Next I thinly sliced the tomatoes & scattered them in.
Then the bacon. I used shop bought already crispy streaky bacon. A few slices broken into bits. Sprinkled into the bread 'bowl'.
Then I broke the 2 eggs in.
Lastly I broke up a slice of cheese & placed the bits over the top. You could always grate it on.
Now place on top shelf of oven.
Again, as I was just winging this for my lunch, I didn't time it, I just kept an eye on it for it looking like cheese had melted & eggs had cooked enough. You ideally want the yoke to be a bit soft still so you get a ooze!

When I got it out it doesn't look fancy, but I was excited to taste.

I slid it out the dish & onto my plate. Here's a picture of the result...



Well, it tasted amazing! The egg yolks oozed & the flavours were great! This would definitely make a yummy brekkie or lunch! Even Miss Iz enjoyed sharing it with mummy! She loved it & kept screeching for more!
My favourite factor is the fact you can make these as big or small as you like, ie. little kiddie sized portions!  And you can add whatever you fancy to it. Even leftovers. Some mushrooms, leftover roast potatoes, leftover chicken, anything can go.... Enjoy baking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment