Thursday 15 May 2014

Stromboli - pizza wrap! Baking with kids

Now I'm back at work part time, I try to savour every moment I can with Miss Iz & Mstr J.

So, today I decided me & Mstr J would make a dinner. I've taken a real liking to Pinterest lately, & the wonders you can find on there! I've been 'pin'ing things left right & centre!  I had a browse last night at my recent dinner pins & wondered which we could attempt! Then I spotted the Stromboli! Or as Mstr J named it when I showed him what we were going to make, the Pizza Wrap!!

There is so many versions on Pinterest that I decided to make our own dough, & wing the rest of it! My usual baking style really!!

So, I found a recipe for some dough.....
1 cup of warm water
2 & 1/4 teaspoons of yeast (roughly a sachet)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 & 1/2 to 3 & 1/2 cups plain flour

Yes this was an American recipe, so it's in cups! You can either find a converter online, or buy a cheap set of cup measures. Think mine came from a £1 shop!

So, here you go....
Put the warm water & yeast in your bowl & stir to activate it.
Then add the salt, oil & 2 & 1/2 cups of the flour.
Use your mixers dough hook to mix.  
Once all mixed together add up to 1 more cup of the flour. (Think I used slightly under & it was prob still a lil too much).  Then mix again.
Give it a nead with your hands, & cover bowl & put somewhere warm to rise for about 1 hour.

Once it was risen I actually stole a little of the dough & made some little balls to have with some garlic butter! Yummy! The rest we split in 2 to make our 2 Pizza Wraps!!

The First half we rolled out into a rough rectangle.. (Ok, not much of a rectangle, but we tried!).
Mstr J spread with our homemade sauce. This being, some ketchup, some BBQ sauce & some tomato purée mixed together.

Then I grated some cheese on top! We didn't want any bits of little finger in our wrap!

For our filling, we used some sliced chorizo & some bacon lardons. (The second one we even added some sliced thin chicken mummy found in the fridge).

Now the fun part! Rolling it!!
Mstr J loved this! You don't just roll, you lift & roll if that makes sense. If you just roll it you will push all your filling out! So lift & roll & kinda tuck it in.
When you get to the end, fold in either end & put upside down (with your rolled edge on the bottom), onto a lined baking tray.
You then repeat for your 2nd Stromboli.
2nd half of dough in the bowl.....

Once both made, cut a few lines in the top to release any air while cooking.

And in it goes. About 30 minutes at 200.
I'd spin your tray half way through so the back Stromboli is then at the front.
And...... Ta da!!! Enjoy!!

Here is a picture of the inside!!

It was very yummy!  You could do any number of different fillings. A few I saw were using pesto, mince, etc.
We all enjoyed it. I ate mine with a knife & fork, but daddy picked his up just like a Wrap & munch his way through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment